In this blog I’ll pick a fabulous food find and link it to a recipe or restaurant that proves it can be affordable, appetizing, and convenient. Most of all, I’ll show you why these finds stand out as something you've just got to try. As a special bonus you'll get tips and tricks so you can work with these great finds at home too. I’m here to bring you the deliciousness that already exists.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Real noodles without the calories

A few posts back I wrote about using a spiralizer to make mock noodles using zucchini or carrots. Today i'd like to share with you a product I discovered about a year ago, that is the closest thing to noodles that I've ever had. They are about 40 calories a bag and completely gluten free.

House Foods makes a product called Shirataki noodles. They are noodles made out of tofu, and they are AMAZING! They come in several different forms like angel hair, fettuccini, spaghetti and small bites for soup. They are sold in individual serving size bags surrounded by liquids for preserving and maintaining shape. Generally, you can find these in the produce section where cold packaged items are. You can also find them in specialty stores like H-Mart where a lot of unique finds are featured.

Check out this pic for details straight from their site:


These noodles require very little preparation. If I'm using them as a straight up noodle, I boil them for a few minutes to warm and tenderize. If I'm cooking with them, as I do with a Pad Thai  dish, I just drain them and toss them right in. You can also microwave them if needed. 

The bags run anywhere from $.99 to $2.99 depending on the store you buy them at. I suggest you wait for them to go on sale and then purchase a bunch. 

These noodles are a great nutritious, low calorie substitute for traditional pasta, which will leave you feeling full and satisfied each meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment