In this blog I’ll pick a fabulous food find and link it to a recipe or restaurant that proves it can be affordable, appetizing, and convenient. Most of all, I’ll show you why these finds stand out as something you've just got to try. As a special bonus you'll get tips and tricks so you can work with these great finds at home too. I’m here to bring you the deliciousness that already exists.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A spiralizer's many uses



I’d like to share with you a tool that has really improved my healthy eating skills. This “fabulous food find” is called a spiralizer. With this kitchen tool you can quickly and easily carve your everyday vegetables into spiral like shapes. A spiralizer is a life saver when you are craving pasta but don’t want to take in all the carbs, hence the name of my device the Veggetti. There are many spiralizers on the market but this one happens to be the cheapest and easiest to use and it stores away nicely when not in use. 





When looking at Wikipedia I notice a very short entry of what a spiralizer is and then in the “Use With” section an author lists other kitchen devices that might help with healthy eating. In my opinion the “Use With” section should really include the different vegetable options that you can use with the tool. I’ve updated the section to include more foods and how they can be used directly with the spiralizer.

Wikipedia's entry:
Spiralizers are often used in kitchens with juicers, blenders, and food processors to produce raw vegan or vegetarian meals. For example, one can use a spiralizer to make "noodles" with spaghetti sauce; a blender to make a green smoothie; and a juicer to make home made orange juice. Meals like this are popular on many health blogs, particularly vegan, vegetarian, and paleo blogs. Users can find spiralizer recipes on sites such as Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, and Snapchat.


My change:
Spiralizers are often used to produce vegan or vegetarian meals or to transform high calorie meals into healthier options. Almost any vegetable can be cut down and spiraled to make alternative healthy meals. For example, one can use a spiralizer to make "zucchini noodles" with tomato sauce or for a great veggie stir-fry. Spiraled potatoes make a tasty hash or potato pancakes. You can also make sprialed carrots and beets for a colorful salad or quick garnishes that are fun, healthy, and attractive. Meals like these are popular on many health blogs, particularly vegan, vegetarian and paleo. Besides blogs, users can find spiralizer recipes on many social media sites.

Link can be found by clicking here.

For veggies that need to be cooked, it only takes a few minutes in some boiling water and they will come out just like pasta should be, al dente. Anything used for raw salads and garnishes are ready to use as soon as you spiral them. As a tip, I pull the veggie out in between turns to get short little strips. If you leave the veggie in the spiralizer and keep turning you will get long continuous strands.

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to get one of these! I never have because, although I like to cook, I only make things that are very simple; not a fan of a lot of prep. It actually sounds like a spiralizer makes the process easier though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For $15 you can't beat it. And it really is super easy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. I've seen the commercials and they do look intriguing. I remember once I made a tomato sauce out of red peppers instead of tomatos, and my daughter didn't know the difference, so maybe if I made spaghetti with squash, nobody would know the difference too!!

    ReplyDelete